11.22.2004

Revolution on Canvas

Everyone should go out and buy this book. Hundreds of poems and narratives from indie and punk bands. NoFX, Taking Back Sunday, the Locust, Brazil, the Starting Line, Rise Against, the Gadjits, PlanesMistakenForStars, and more!

Excerpt:

Technology will kill me,
So will poor penmenship
(and spelling and grammar,
well and also logic)
- Mark Thomas Kluepfel

Plus, 50% of all funds go to the National Center for Family Literacy.

After reading the introduction, where John Payne (and english professor) comments about illiteracy, I am reminded painfully of my high school and those I grew up with. Often my peers would brag about coming from a home without books and their lack of reading for pleasure. It was a badge of honor in Sparta to not have opened a book (fiction or otherwise) outside of a classroom. And if you could manage not to do it in the classroom as well, you were a fucking god.

I was out of place (and no, I didn't have blue hair then) because I read for pleasure, and I read a lot. My mother and I used to take my dad to the airport (he would travel to California a lot) and then we would go to Trotter's for their awesome salad bar. We would choose a booth and read until we were done eating, much like my college friends now smoke and chat. My mother and I spent lots of hours reading, comfortable in each other's company and silence. Its one of the best and most consistent memories of my childhood.

And now in college, I still read 2 or 3 books a week for the sheer fun of doing so.

What's wrong with that, I ask? I'm waaaaay cooler than all those cats I went to school with.

No comments: