11.01.2004

Museums of oddity and amusement

museum: a depository for collecting and displaying objects having scientific or historical or artistic value.

Long ago I searched for a good black and white picture of barbed wire for a website I was doing. I ended up not needing the clip art, but I found an interesting online museum dedicated to barbed wire.

Skip to last week when I discovered that I had never organized my favorite links, which was a little like not having ever done your laundry. I naturally put down my psychology study guide and began reorganizing in true nerd fashion. I discovered that I have a twisted taste in websites, and among those that struck me was the Devil's Rope Barbed Wire Museum. After rediscovering the joys of said museum, I thought, "I wonder what other museums are dedicated to weird things like this.." and proceeded to search.

Unfortunately I have an undiagnosed case of ADD and became bored after only a few websites, but I did find some interesting ones to share with you, since I have this obligation to the blog and all:

The Condiment Packet Museum - if the devil works through idle hands, this must be his opus
Moist Towelette Online Museum - yup, there is a museum for this too
Museum of Menstruation - yeah, you're reading it right...its not an online museum and its not open anymore, but Jesus, you have to check this out
Museum of Weird Consumer Culture
Online Auction Museum - not only is it online, but its a museum of online auctions! that's using the human language

These are just a few. There are surely tons more...but I do pretend to have a life, so if you would like to inform me of quirky preferably online museums, post a comment. Enjoy!

No comments: